Wednesday 18 June 2008

Cycling

I have cycled all the way ( or should it be ALL THE WAY) last night. Thats about 8 miles. Most of it up the hill. So naturally i have a great sense of achievement. The only thing that tarnishes it is that cycling so far makes me so bloody sore. I don't know how those couriers do it, may be they have developed a callus or something. I even wear special cushioned lycra pants, still no use. I might have to invest in that ugly fat silicone seat. We'll see.

There is an interesting pattern i have noticed in my cycling behavior. When there are other cyclists on the road i try to overtake them, especially up the hill, because to be perfectly honest, im great up the hill. And sometimes i succeed, leaving them behind and thinking "ha, sucker! there i showed you on your big fancy bike." Or if its a girl: "Just give up, you flip flop wearing helmet law ignoring silly person." Nothing perplexes me more that girls riding their bike wearing flip flops and skirts, with no helmets. Every time i see one i just want to shout: "You are a gonner!" I mean we all know that car drivers want to kill all cyclists off. Or is it me being slightly paranoid again?
So anyway, then of course most of the time i get overtaken, not being very fast and riding a small Dahon 20" wheel, and i always think: "oh well, its not like i am competing anyway. And they are probably breaking the law going so fast." Its absurd because i know i was competing a minute ago, still my brain finds an excuse. It reminds me why i have given up my tarot cards. My dear friend gave me a pack of tarot cards few years ago and i got really into it for a while. It was ok when i did it for others, and only when i was doing it for myself i ran into the same kind of dilemma. When the cards were predicting great things i happily embraced it, totally believing it. However when the answer was not what i liked, i always thought to myself: " well i don't really believe in this things anyway, its is more of a game to me." After i noticed that pattern i decided to give it up all together. You ether believe it or not.
So i guess with cycling i have to embrace my competitive side and admit that i'm just not very fast. Most of the time. Yet.

No comments: